The Alberta Innovates High School Youth Researcher Summer Program (HYRS) at the University of Alberta offers paid, six week summer research experiences for Grade 11 students in health and medical sciences, including priority areas in digital or data driven health research, commercialization, and health system transformation. Learn more at www.uab.ca/hyrs

Becoming the Scientist I Didn’t Draw



I once had a teacher who led us through a simple yet powerful experiment. She asked us to “draw a scientist.” After we finished, she asked us to stand if our drawing showed certain traits: a man, wild hair, a lab coat, safety goggles. Like most of my classmates, I had drawn exactly that. Then she said, “Stand up if you drew an astronaut.” Silence. “What about a woman?” Almost no one stood.

That moment was eye-opening. It revealed my subconscious assumptions I held, ones I didn’t even realize I’ve internalized. However, ever since that class, I’ve made a conscious effort to consider all perspectives and possibilities in everything that I do. Women can be scientists. Anyone can. Especially because research itself is boundless. It’s not just lab work; it’s literature review, computer analysis, observation, discussion, and so much more. A researcher isn’t defined by just one image or one role. It’s not just a man with crazy hair in a lab coat. It’s a diverse group of people, each with their own experiences, perspectives, and ways of thinking. I’m incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to be in the Tsai Lab, where I have witnessed firsthand how differences among scientists have strengthened their research. Research thrives when diverse minds come together.

This same openness has helped me navigate the harder parts of research too. I still remember how uncomfortable I felt during the first euthanization and dissection of a mouse. It was difficult to process the fact that she, alive and breathing just five minutes before, was now completely still. Even knowing that we only dissect a singular demographic, maternal mice in our study to understand how breast milk shapes offspring immune health, didn’t make it easier. There was a heaviness I hadn’t expected. But I remained open to that discomfort. I sat with it and worked to reframe it. The mice we study have a genetic predisposition to develop Type 1 Diabetes. Their fate, in many ways, is predetermined. And while that doesn’t erase the discomfort, it does reframe it: from helplessness to purpose. That life, rather than ending in silence, becomes part of something greater. Her contribution to research helps us ask questions, learn, and move closer to answers that may help others one day.

So what makes a good scientist? It’s not about having all the answers. It’s about staying open to new ideas, different people, unfamiliar emotions, and even the discomfort that comes with growth. What matters most is the willingness to intentionally and consistently remain open-minded, especially in moments of uncertainty, discomfort, or doubt because that’s where you grow the most. If you have the drive of a learner, the mindset of a team member, and the attitude of a contributor, you’re already on the right track. 

Therefore, stay open-minded, in research and beyond, because the scientist you become might be nothing like the one you first drew.

 

Mikayla Y. attends Archbishop MacDonald and hopes to one day travel the world alongside her family. She enjoys reading, making music, and spending time with the people who matter most to her. Open-minded and curious, Mikayla is eager to explore all new ideas and take part in as many experiences as possible.